Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cruis’n Down the River


Sometime it’s about going from point A to point B.  What has been so cool about this trip is that when it seems to get a little boring you turn a bend and it’s, wow, that’s neat or, damn, we need to get out of the way of that tow!  There is always something to do or keep your attention.  Not much time for reading but plenty of time for little tasks…snacking…catching up on e-mail…kick’n back.  That’s what I was looking forward to…knocking the pace down to idle.  Been an adjustment.  A welcome adjustment!

Sunday, 9/16 to Monday – Spring Valley to the Illinois Valley Yacht (IVY) & Canoe Club

Trip down from Spring Valley boring…what are those tows and barges doing on shore?  Well they are abandon..sunk!  Surprise they haven’t been picked apart for scrap.  At Henry, IL that is what is happening…old into new.

A little later I see this island of white.  Thought I’d seen this before…island of sea gulls.  No, after examining the photos from my new 40X zoom camera…the birds are white pelicans! 


























IVY is a great club.  Circa 1907 they have seen growth, floods, contraction, high water and low…but they stick it out and (outside SSYC) they are the best I’ve seen.  I could be happy here…they have three sailing fleets…and did I tell you about the great bar?! and restaurant?!  Chris & I had a wonderful dinner with an older couple that have been members for decades.  There is history here…people pursuing their boating passions and eager to share them with us “passer-byes.” 












First Commodore

Wall of Commodores



Tuesday, September 18

My Uncle Putter died today.  He was always full of life!!  Bigger than life.  Nothing stopped him.  Can’t say how many days I’d seen him riding his bike on the rail trail…pass him…and he’d turn and catch me…smiling, loudly announcing his place in this world.  I ‘d have a hard time being sad today because it’s such a great day to ride the river.  To be in my place.  He pursued his passions aggressively…not waiting for tomorrow to decide today.  Passion for life…that is what I will remember about Uncle Putter.  Passion for life…is how I will honor his memory!!!  If there is a heaven…Putter is not resting in peace…he is biking full on…he is setting the pace.  His message to us…keep up!!!

We left IVY, cruised through Peoria , and actually transited the Peoria lock with two other Loopers!  Attitude Changer and Bama Belle, both from Mobile, AL are acquaintances from Joliet.  After sharing a lock, docking at Tall Timbers, a couple of drinks and dinner we are good friends.  They are in the “home stretch” of their Loop experience. We are so encouraged by the great time and experience they had plus the lessons they passed along…it gives us confidence to keep going.  Like we could be stopped!
























1 comment:

  1. Bill and Chris,

    Thanks for taking us virtually along.

    Coincidence: Thursday, we watched 22 white pelicans land on a sandbar in Saginaw Bay just off our beach.

    You are bringing back some great memories. I had to dig out my old log book. Unfortunately, I did not keep a very detailed log as you are doing and back then I took few pictures (and have no idea if they still exist). Although the entry for October 9 has some color, most of the entries in the log are just basic info:
    October 9, tied up at Starved Rock Yacht Club - 25 cent beers, 50 cent mixed drinks (give you an idea how long ago I went?)
    October14, gas 5.5 gals $3.74 at Havana mile 120.5 (another clue)
    October15, ran to mile 57.5 and anchored behind Big Blue Island.

    Ray and Deb

    ReplyDelete